I first read "The Ultimate Evil" right after the Robert Stack TV show "Unsolved Mysteries" first aired their "Son of Sam" episodes back in 1988. "The Ultimate Evil" was out for around a year plus at that point.
Coming away from those two sources, I was totally convinced that the Carrs were definitely involved with the SOS shootings. That was 1988 and carried forward for decades later.
Now, in 2020, I am less convinced of the Carrs involvement than at any point in the past.
Looking back at this now, and with plenty of time and hindsight, I find what transpired in the first couple of weeks in June 1977 interesting, as to drawing a direct connection to Yonkers and Berkowitz. This is a full two months before his arrest and before the final two shootings (Elephas Bayside/Moskowitz-Violante Brooklyn) happened.
Here's a timeline for that week in June 1977:
Sunday June 5th, 1977 - Jimmy Breslin writes his column and alerts the world to the text of the Son of Sam letter he (Breslin) at the NY Daily News received. The actual Son of Sam letter is not published in NY Daily News in this edition. Purposely left out, per NY Detective requests, is the part of the SOS letter at that end that mentions "John Wheaties", the "Wicked King Wicker", the "Duke of Death" parts.
Monday June 6th, 1977 - Next day after Breslin's column, the NY Daily News is allowed to print these parts and notes the detectives requests to leave out.
Tuesday June 7th, 1977 - Per Maury in "The Ultimate Evil" - Craig Glassman receives the first (of four) threatening letters
Thursday June 9th, 1977 - Per Maury in "T.U.E." - Jack Cassara receives the get well card from supposedly Sam (and Frances) Carr. Cassara looks up Sam Carr in the phone directory and both are puzzled by this. Sam Carr has also received anonymous threatening letters at this point. The men agree to meet at the Carr house on this Thursday 6/9 to discuss further. They compare handwriting samples from each piece and it is a match. There is a common link, but they can't immediate place. Nann Cassara (Jack's wife), when she gets back to her home after meeting the Carrs, recalls Sam Carr mentioning his dog shot and recalls her former tenant (Berkowitz) had issues with dogs barking. She thinks of the connection, looks up Berkowitz in the current directory and sees he is living near Carr. She immediately contacts Sam Carr on this.
Friday June 10th, 1977 - Per "T.U.E" - Sam Carr goes down to the Yonkers Police Department to make them aware of this info. Supposedly, based on the the call that NY detectives had with Wheat Carr, when they were trying to track down "witness" David Berkowitz, Sam Carr was also down at the Omega Task Force (109th precinct in Queens) in early August right before the Berkowitz arrest.
What is truly amazing, is this all transpires a full two months and four people shot, before Berkowitz is investigated/arrested.
Those parts of the Breslin letter ("John Wheaties", "Wicked King Wicker", "Son of Sam") would have seemed like gibberish to the average professional and amateur sleuths following the case back in the day. But, to people in Yonkers, this had to be very familiar.
The Carrs were well known in Yonkers. Sam ran businesses and employed many local people. Why would there be so many direct links trying to draw a straight line to Sam Carr? Seems unusual to do, if involved.
The jury may still be out on John and Michael's involvement in all this, but for Sam Carr, it seems he is very much a victim here.
Post by Admin Horan on Feb 5, 2020 10:11:15 GMT -6
Good post! So, in a nutshell, what we're looking for is some kind of corroborating evidence linking Sam Carr to Berkowitz. For example,
1. IF David Berkowitz wrote the "Borelli letter" and the "Breslin letter," then why is he claiming to be the "Son of Sam?" His father wasn't named Sam. John and Michael Carr's father was named Sam. Why would Berkowitz claim to be the "son" of Sam Carr? There are ZERO known samples of Berkowitz's hand printing/block printing that resemble the block printing on the Borelli/Breslin letters. And no explanation for why BERKOWITZ would claim to be a member of the Carr family. Soooo, maybe someone else printed those two letters...
2. Letters in Berkowitz's cursive handwriting WERE sent to the Carrs, the Cassaras, and Craig Glassman accusing them all of being in some kind of conspiracy to "get" Berkowitz. Sooo, why would BERKOWITZ write letters claiming to BE a member of the Carr family? Maybe to "frame" the son(s) of Sam Carr for being the .44 Caliber Killer. If so, then WHY them? If they were total strangers to him, then WHY pick THEM? He definitely knew the Cassaras. HOW did the author (Berkowitz, or whoever) of the Borelli/Breslin letters link the Cassaras to the Carrs? The author of the letters seems to have known some details of Carr family life. HOW did Berkowitz know those details, if he didn't know the Carrs?
3. So, by way of corroborating evidence--that is, evidence that tends to prove Berkowitz somehow KNEW the Carrs, might include: A. Work history. Wheat Carr and her husband worked for Yonkers PD. Craig Glassman was an auxiliary deputy sheriff for Westchester Sheriffs Office. Berkowitz had been an auxiliary police officer across the river in the Bronx. Did he meet Wheat and/or Craig that way? B. Berkowitz rented a room from Jack Cassara. How did he meet Cassara? Through Fred Cowan? Can we find any evidence that Berkowitz knew Cowan? C. Can we prove Cassara knew the Carrs? Berkowitz's other letters accuse Sam Carr of taking orders from Cassara. Where did he get that idea? I mean, why THE CARRS? D. Craig Glassman's father was also named Sam. Is the "Son" of "Sam" a reference to being a son of Sam Glassman? How would BERKOWITZ know Craig's father was named Sam?
4. Berkowitz's address book had quite a few unlisted PRIVATE HOME numbers of prominent people. No names, just unlisted numbers. WHERE did he get them? Sam Carr ran an answering service for such people. Did Berko get those numbers from one of the Carrs? HOW?
5. Okay, so quite a few things suggest that Berko knew John Carr. So, why did he accuse SAM Carr of taking orders from Jack Cassara? Can we find any connection between Cassara and Carr besides those letters?
That's what we're looking for. Where do we look? Well, we'll need as much information as we can get on Sam Carr, Jack Cassara, and Craig Glassman. Which we don't have much of. Yet. So, we can't rule OUT connections between them, either. Bottom line: I believe it's worth LOOKING. Because we HAVE found some rather startling CONCRETE evidence confirming a LOT of what Maury claims in his book...
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world." —Paul Gerhardt